I have no idea what causes it, but sometimes something happens that makes a day go sour. Maybe we got up on the wrong side of the bed (how can you do that when your bed is against the wall??) or we didn’t get enough sleep, or perhaps it’s hormones – ah, yes, those toothy monsters that run around inside our bodies causing every imaginable emotion – but we crab at the kids, kick the cat, and growl at hubby. Before we know it, everyone is in on the act.
Junior pushes the baby down and Chloe cries because she can’t seem to color in the lines. Everyone is all out of sorts and nothing seems to be going right! How can the family get out of such a rut? Is there any way to remedy this horrible situation? Ah, yes! There is a cure: Laughter! And, more specifically, Mom’s Laughter!
My mother, bless her heart, was never very coordinated. Because of vision problems, she didn’t learn to walk until she was 2, so grace was not one of her strong points. It was not uncommon for her to trip and spill the milk, knock over a glass of Kool-Aid (horrors!!) or simply run into something. I clearly remember her dumping a glass of something-or-other, and laughing, saying, “Well, that was good, June! What’s going to be your next number?” as though she had just successfully completed a difficult dance move. Then she would continue to chuckle and clean up the mess.
She saw humor in a fairly hopeless situation.
How can we an Awful Day into a Great Day? Here are some good ideas:
1. Smile – There’s a saying that goes, “Fake it till you make it!” That especially applies to smiling! If you greet your kiddos with smiles every day, it’s amazing how nice the day starts. So even if you don’t feel like it, Smile! Soon you will feel like it.
2. Sing – God wants to hear our praise – yes, He DESERVES our praise – any time, but especially when times are tough. Can we sing in the valleys? It may be tough, but if it were easy, everyone would do it. I’ve sung in the shower with tears streaming down my face, and do you know what? When I get out, I’m still singing…and smiling.
3. Read/listen to the Psalms – My husband has a saying, “There is balm in the Psalms.” There is a soothing, healing salve in the Word of God. Many of us have not just one copy, but many copies of the Word of God. At the first sign of trouble, we can just stop and open up our Bibles and read for just a few minutes. And if we’re too busy to read, we can always listen to the Bible online. The Gloomies cannot long withstand an onslaught of the Word of God.
4. Rise 15 minutes earlier than the rest of the family – To me, this is a HUGE key to starting the day off right. It’s not easy, but to just give yourself 15 minutes to wipe the sleepies out of your eyes and enjoy a little bit of time to merely use the bathroom uninterrupted is wonderful! If you can do nothing else, try getting up just 15 minutes before everyone else. It will jump start your day and put a spring in your step.
5. “Swallow your frog 1st thing in the morning” – Mark Twain once said,
“Eat a live frog first thing in the morning and nothing worse will happen to you the rest of the day.” If we find the most distasteful thing that we need to do, and do it first off, it will make the rest of the day easier! For some of us, it may be cleaning or decluttering, some may despise yard work, and others may hate meal planning. Tackle that despised item first thing in the morning, and the whole day will be better.
6. Stop and drink some water or get a little snack – It’s amazing how we are inextricably tied to our bodies! If we’re low on fuel (food,) we’ll get grumpy. For me, sometimes the best thing I can do is stop and get a little snack. That keeps me from strangling my little ones mid-morning!
Next time your tempted to kick the dog, bark at the cat, and growl at the kids, try one of these suggestions. You may find yourself laughing before long!
Your Assignment? Do you remember how you used to stand in front of the mirror and make faces at yourself when you were little? Well, go to the mirror and SMILE! See how much better you look? It even makes the bags under your eyes go away…kinda. 😀 Practice smiling, even when no one’s watching!
If you’re brave, take a minute to tell me how it’s going!
To Love Honor and Vacuum